Re: One-Point Perspective Site plus bad teaching experience...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:14:39 -0500

Artemis420 wrote:

> In a message dated 7/26/99 0:04:27 AM EST, bkramer.us writes:
>
> << Now I've taught umpteen years and I've tried many approaches so I don't
> think it's my teaching ability here that's the problem. Why do some
> students who are highly gifted in the arts find trouble with perspective
> and most others don't?
> >>
> It was a bad day when art and mathematics got married!
> 14th century wasn't it?
> Many so-called right brained artists dot easily make the jump to perspective
> because its such a left brained activity...pure geometry really.
> Artie

I think of it as one device - a mathmatical one - that helps us
translate what we know into what we see. when I teach "perspective" to
elem kids, I explain that linear perspective is one of several devices
artists use to create a 3-d illusion on a 2-d surface. others are
overlapping, diminishing size, aerial or atmospheric, color, etc. I
think when I show it to them from that perspective (sorry:), it might be
less intimidating. Also elementary kids love to learn new tricks, and
maybe don't have such a highly developed and fragile identity to deal
with as your MSers. Still would like to see that research...
linda in michigan