Re: easy Pop Art Ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wipeout (wipeout)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:58:46 -0400

this is a reply to the message sent by VBSpivey
Subject: need advice about museum programs

>..do you have suggestions about some hands-on projects that relate to Pop
>and >assemblage art of the late 50s and 1960s (J. Johns, Lichtenstein,
>Oldenburg, Warhol, >Marisol) I have considered exploring 4-color
>separation process using rubber >stamps--and using recyclable materials
>for collage/assemblage works. Any other >(clean and easy) ideas would be
>great.

>Ginger

I wish wish wish I could help out at the museum; Pop art is probably my
favorite style. I wrote a course of study called "Packaged to Sell: the
packaging of products and personalities".

Kids at summer camp loved giant Oldenburg sculptures: get 2 layers of roll
paper, sit on the floor and draw a big object w/o narrow parts, cut out and
glue
most of the edge, add details while it dries, stuff with newspaper and
finish gluing, holding with paper clips until dry. I prefer fadeless roll
paper that is white on the back, brighter, and thinner, and costs more.

In HS student teaching, I did a pop art and printmaking unit, and they
chose different pop images to carve, printing them on various materials.
One girl brought in silver dot wrapping paper to print her comic frame on.
I also bought a sheet of dots used by graphic designers, and xeroxed away,
in different sizes and on different colors. They could be printed on or
maybe used to make a collage -- I've seen a few landscapes by Lichtenstein
that may be easier for kids.

If you roll a clean brayer over a small inked plate and then paper, you
create a row of repeating images a la Warhol. Kids could choose a xeroxed
image of a celebrity and colorize it, using any medium, adding some details
with bright paint pens.

I had an idea that didn't work with this particularly wild 5th grade: Each
person was to make a small collage of magazine cut-outs to represent
America. Then I would xerox them to standard size possibly on red, white,
and blue paper, or students could colorize theirs. Then I would mount them
together as a giant US flag, recalling Raushenburg and J. Johns. (Too much
fighting over magazines and time to display.)
I had this idea before and collected lots of red, white, and blue magazine
and newspaper scraps for a flag collage.

I have a neat JPEG of students' pop artwork off of a teacher's personal
site, probably one from the list!! If you would like it, email me, and
have fun!!!!!!!!