RE: ideas for list serve

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:49:21 -0500

This discussion comes up not only on every list serve, but every time a
family member gets on line. Please do not send attachments to the main
list.
Reasons
1. They may be incompatible with some people's computers
2. Cute joke attachments may actually be viruses, worms or other harmful
files you don't know about until it is to late
3. Unlike text jokes the person receiving the attachment has no choice about
their computer being tied up for minutes or even hours.
4. Just because it is a picture file does not mean it will download quickly.
Recently it took 9 hours to download some pictures that the newspaper
insisted on e-mailing to us.
5. Some list members may be on high speed lines, but others are in areas
with slower connections
Alternatives
1. Send a post about the attachment you want to share list members who what
it can e-mail you off list and you can send it to them off list
2. Create your own web page or do one with your students and share the link
3. Maybe an alternative bulletin board/list serve that specifically allows
attachments could be set up (www.onelist.com will let you set up a list
serve of your own).

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and Children's Art Museum