Re: Elem. art clubs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bennett (sbennett)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:04:32 -0400

Hi. I do an elementary art club. I am in a large school with approximately
650 students. So I limit my numbers to 25 -30. I have to also limit it to
grade level. One year I did a separate 4th and 5th. Fifth graders are our
oldest grade
level. This year I limited it to, to make it special, to 5th graders. I
kept it in a theme mode for a specific time. I did one before school for
about 45 minutes and another one after school for about an hour. Before
school the children are much better behaved. We did play sets the first
half of the year. The second half we did an installation project with
papier mache. A Friendship peace village. We combined with the music
department and also my regular fifth grade classes. Students in club
worked on almost lifesize human forms, while the students in just regular
art worked on animals and some fantasy forms. With 120 - 130 total fifth
graders the installation took a classroom to display. Kids loved it and it
received a lot of media attention. Art teacher was exhasuted at the end,
but very pleased with the results. Students behaved well most of the time
as they were really into it.