Being an artist (Re: Problem Solving)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:35:04 -0700

At this time, this thread compels me to share this:

"An artist is not a special kind of person, each person is a special kind
of artist"

A paraphrase of a Balinese belief... a culture where being an artist is not
seperate from being a human.

...So, without going into depth about scope and sequence, DBAE, arts
advocacy and other components of my philosophy as an artist and educator...
this quotation alone is a cornerstone... something I truly believe and
therefore expect/encourage of any learner I encounter.

-Stacey B.

At 1:19 PM -0700 7/22/99, henry taylor wrote:
>Let me pull out the beginning of one sentence:
>
>"The majority of students will not become artists but . . ."
>
>It's true of course.. But, beyond that the sentence says somthing about our
>assumptions about what an "artist" is. Probably one of the biggest barriers
>to funding for the arts could be found in this observation which is usually
>understood to say that 'the majority of students won't gain anything much,
>from this study of art, that pertains to what they WILL become.'
>
>I only wish that we could; all of us: parents, students, teachers,
>administrators; see and experience ourselves as artists along with all the
>other things we see ourselves as: husbands wives parents churchgoers
>shoppers whatever.... Art is one of those things we use to define ourselves
>as "human" and, with rare exception, it seems to be an accurate assessment.

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* *