RE: Too many "requests"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nagel, Judy (JNagel)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:45:21 -0500

Another suggestion might be that you are very involved in classroom
activities but would be happy to talk with her and/or her committee on "how
to do the project(s)." Then not only will they be able to take on the work
but will appreciate you as well. Judy

http://www.saxarts.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Moonbeargj [Moonbeargj]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 5:40 PM
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Too many "requests"

I have already gotten the phone call. The PTA would like for me to make
projects with the students of each class to donate to the school's
fundraising auction. Last year a couple of items were very successful and
now they have asked for a repeat performance, but a larger quantity. Last
year I got in over my head trying to honor several requests. Exhibits
around
town, help with the reunion decorations, something to kick off a service
project, scenery for concerts, etc. .....I see the value in each request but

it all wears me out! I need to formulate an answer to these requests which
clearly states the situation without having people think "that art teacher
is
so uncooperative and cranky".

How's this answer: "This sounds like a great idea but will require much
thought and preparation....the same work, thought and preparation that I put

into my lesson plans for 500 children." (People seem to think that because I

do a good job and am "artistic" that their request will be easy for me!) "
If
I take on another project I'm afraid the progress I'm making with my lessons

will suffer. Please ask another year. Thank you."

How does that sound? Does anyone else have the same problem? Any more
thoughts or suggestions on this topic?