Re: Egyptian art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:50:21 -0700

Wendy... you aren't morbid!

Collecting dead insects (only one family of insects, Hemiptera, is truly a
bug...so please encourage your students to call them insects too :-) is
way cool.

I love your idea for the sarcophagi. This project has great potential for
some intedisciplinary investigation...studying the life phases,
metamorphoses that all insects go through...
I can see it now, little papier maché "coffins" with the egg, larva, pupa,
and adult phases for that particular insect depicted on the exterior...
It would be fun to gold leaf the inside...whee!

enjoy!
-Stacey B.
(artist & art teacher here, an entymologist in an alternate universe)

At 10:12 PM -0400 7/21/99, wendy sauls wrote:
> then when we got ready to do the
>project they could research the kind of bug they had so that they could make
>symbolic images on their sarcophagus to tell about/represent special
>characteristics of that insect. maybe they could even design and make a
>temple to put the bug in (similar to the pyramid concept) and do bug
>paintings on the walls and make up a story about the bug afterlife... too
>wacky? but fun, i think, and not jsut reproducing egyptian art but getting
>more into interpretation -
>
>:) wendy

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* *