Re: Our Children

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:42:05 -0500

Alicia Kinane wrote:

I have
> many friends who think that teaching ends at 3:30 when the kids leave.
> I work my butt off and it is for those students. After a year teaching
> 2nd grade, I was shocked by the callous uncaring teachers. How do the
> rest of you react to these people??
>
> Tired but prepared.

have you also noticed that these "on-the-job retirees" have the most
complaints during contract negotiations? or that they haven't availed
themselves of any meaningful professional development opportunities in
years? besides wishing they would go do something else with their lives,
i make the best example of myself as a teacher that i possibly can, and
i support other teachers with a similar work ethic. no parent or
politician will be able to look me in the eye and generalize that "our
public schools are failing" or that "teachers are not fit for the job."
linda in michigan