Re: our own children

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:50:26 -0400

MP wrote:

>Oh yeah...did I mention that my 2 year old, when presented with a red
crayon
>at a restaurant recently, began coloring IN THE LINES of the kiddie
>placemat!!?? Something tells me she will be tying her shoes soon, too.
She
>also made a "clown face" out of a lump of clay today, and "painted" with
>water last week...shouting "DINER, DINER" and when I looked at the shape
she
>had created with the water..........it WAS a dinosaur.
>a mom first,
>MP

My daughter rebelled against the unthinking comments of other students and
teachers when they said she was naturally talented because her mom and dad
were artists. She had done some truly amazing things at a young age and I
thought she'd probably follow in our footsteps. The comments of others
influenced her attitude and made her strive to achieve individuality by
denying that aspect of herself. I found out first hand that it doesn't do
to try to counter that with discussion. She is finally doing some design
and drawing independently because she enjoys it, and is finally able to
accept praise for her own efforts.
Our son loved art until they changed teachers at his school. The new
teacher was a screamer and told me at open house that no, she hadn't noticed
his drawings, she just didn't have time to pay attention to the kids. He
used to draw beautifully, very creative and sensitive to his subject.
Both experiences taught me some things about how and why I teach, but I wish
I'd had a better solution as a parent. Why must we tolerate the
incompetent, negative or uncaring teachers in our field. I think if you're
not teaching first because you enjoy young people and believe you can make a
difference, then you should find another line of work. Linda