Re: DRAWING EXPOSED!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rodney and Barbara Boville (rboville)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:41:31 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01BED22F.76EEA600

Those of you out there who are uncomfortable with teaching drawing, =
there are some very good books to highten your confidence on "how to =
teach drawing". I myself have used the Mona Brookes books:Drawing with =
Children and Drawing with Older Children. I cut apart the first book and =
laminated all the pages and put it in a three ring binder, I use it so =
frequently. A super resource for any art visual art teacher. Barbara:) =
ps. My student teachers have been overwhelmend with the content of the =
book and wondered why they did not see it at the university level.!
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Beeching <robprod>
To: artsEdnet TALK <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, July 18, 1999 7:51 PM
Subject: DRAWING EXPOSED!
=20
Of all the art disciplines, DRAWING is the most personally =
challenging
because it is so blatantly visual and intimate. One cannot hide =
one's inadequacies,
and cannot be corrected by those themselves who cannot draw, so =
avoidance
seems to be the policy.
=20
It is interesting to read all the justifications for not to teaching =
children how to draw,
as it is to read so little in support of drawing.
=20
Perhaps that is why so many teachers ignore the working conditions =
of:
a.. hard colorless wax crayons - opposed to color filled oil =
passels=20
b.. hard surfaces - opposed to newspaper pads=20
c.. scribble - opposed to mass and line techniques=20
d.. using brush as a mop - opposed to teaching one=20
e.. to hold a brush correctly to make thick and thin lines=20
f.. composition skills of relationships between object size to =
paper ratios=20
g.. teaching the difference between drawing what one sees =
opposed to what one imagines
These techniques are overlooked or not taught at all in art =
education classes,
only in a department of art where most teachers never appear.
=20
No wonder that so many teachers are frightened at the prospects of
teaching drawing skills, and continue to rationalize this behavior =
by
avoidance.
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01BED22F.76EEA600

Those of you out there who are = uncomfortable=20 with teaching drawing, there are some very good books to highten your = confidence=20 on "how to teach drawing". I myself have used the Mona Brookes = books:Drawing with Children and Drawing with Older = Children. I cut=20 apart the first book and laminated all the pages and put it in a three = ring=20 binder, I use it so frequently. A super resource for any art visual art = teacher.=20 Barbara:) ps. My student teachers have been overwhelmend with the = content of the=20 book and wondered why they did not see it at the university = level.!
-----Original = Message-----