Re: More about Johnny

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry taylor (taylorh)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:09:11 -0700

I'm a big fan of a Teacher who's book I encountered in college: William
Ayers who wrote: "To Teach: the journey of a teacher." It's about education
and pedagogy but it applies as much in the art classroom as anywhere else.
I've been re-reading it lately and it comes together with this current set
of threads as well as an encounter this morning on NPR with Tom Petzinger, a
writer on economics and finance. and HIS new book "The New Pioneers" There
was a surprising resonance and correlation between Petzinger and Ayers which
I think can be summed up in this brief citation (hopefully in the spirit of
"fair use" and with encouragement to acquire and read the entire book)

============================

"Maria Sapon-Shevin (1990, Schools as communities of love and caring,
Holistic Education Review), an exemplary teacher, argues that the central
organizing goal in our schools should be the creation of communities of care
and compassion. She has in mind building classrooms that honor learners as
whole people, and teachers as moral agents. The primary obligation of
educators, she insists, is to assist in therealization of each student's
full humanity---and this obligation may include direct instruction, but goes
way beyond conveying specific facts or body of information to children. It
includes creating environments that challenge and nurture the wide range of
learners who actually appearin our classrooms, and developing spaces that
embody what we take to be valuable and worthwhile. And it means structuring
opportunities for cooperation, active participation, decision-making, and
moral reflection.

"Even though we long for community---for places of common vision, shared
purpose, cooperative effort, and personal fulfillment within collective
committment---we most often settle for institutions. That is, we generally
find ourselves in impersonal places characterized by interchangable parts,
heirarchal competition, and layers of supervision. Communities have problems
and possibilities; schools and universities have departments. We are reduced
to clerks or bureaycrats, and our sense of purpose and agency is diminished.

"While this is universal problem for modern life, it impacts teachers in
specificallyt harsh and brutal ways. Teaching, if it is to be done well,
must be built on vision and committment; learning, if it is to be
meaningful, depends on imagination, risk-taking, intention, and invention.
Stripped of these elements, teaching is mechanical and sterile and learning
is the stuff of pigeons pecking for food or mice running a maze.

"For Sapon-Shevin, the teacher is niether an autocrat nor a cipher, neither
lecturer nor do-nothing. The teacher establishes the boundries of safety,
trust, trutth-telling, and fidelity, She is focused on the persons before
her---whole persons with bodies, minds, feelings, and spirits---and she
resists thinking of teaching in terms of test scores or control. She invites
youngsters to enter as whole persons and to bring their skills, interests,
experiences. and dreams into this collective space, and then to shape and
reshape it in their own images. She will be fully present too: Her
passions---singing, quilting, hiking, dancing---will be well represented.
Now she is set---the next step is building bridges from the known to the
not-yet-known."

This conects a well, at least in spirit, with the previous thread on the
classroom environment.

cheers
-henry