Re: WHY JOHNNY CAN' DRAW...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:39:42 -0400

Bicyclken wrote:
> Lets not be vague in our instruction and the students will respond
> and begin to see with the eyes of an artist and not just looking without a
> clue as to what to do.
>
> Ken Schwab
As in the need for verbalization of what they are seeing, when
looking at art work, nature, form, shape, etc. There also is a need
to make the connection and interpret what they are seeing and
verbalizing inward, so they can translate that into their own
expressive mark outward. A sort of recycling of material which will
not only let them begin to see as an artist, but also the steps to
progress and develop as one as well.
Of course for me the dilemma is age and personal growth. I use my
son in point. I find what I would naturally respond to with a
student I don't with my own son. He is and was born a creative soul.
He naturally has a good eye and interprets this way beyond his age.
The balance, depth and range is very mature and I am very careful
not to interfere with his natural progression. He is 8, and has
redrawn some of my work or included them in some of his drawings. I
find he learns and picks up by watching myself and my husband work.
It is as easy to him to come home from school and pick up a pencil
and draw for three hours non stop and then do several sheets of
multiplication just because he likes to.
So where do you feel is a time to step in, at what age? When someone
shows distress? Do you feel you influence your own children
differently in art?
Sandra
astroboy