Re: WHY JOHNNY CAN' DRAW...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bicyclken
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:41:05 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/99 3:37:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
RWilk85411 writes:

> Are some of us guilty of making kids draw but not really teaching them how?
> No wonder they hate it.
I have heard so many times of teachers who don't really teach the ways of
drawing or give concrete examples of how to draw. They just saw look at it
and draw what you see. Cool, man, but that doesn't give them a basis by
which they can build drawing skills because they don't know how to see.
Drawing is observation, and to observe is the start but what are you looking
for? High lights, shade, shadows, reflected light, back shading to create an
edge? These are the ways to see and the teacher must give the students the
tools to draw or else they will say "I cant draw a straight line even with a
ruler." Lets not be vague in our instruction and the students will respond
and begin to see with the eyes of an artist and not just looking without a
clue as to what to do.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA