Re: drawing as a skill

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry taylor (taylorh)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 10:21:20 -0700

>>> It was disheartening when I realized a pervasive "I can't draw"
attitude
>>> amongst the faculty at my school.
>>
>Joseph Augusta wrote:
>> Shouldn't be. Drawing by hand is only one of the means available today to
>> reproduce our ideas visually. All of the great artists throughout time
have
>> worked with the latest technology--Leonardo is certainly the most
prominent.

Great point Joseph!

Weak motivation but a willingness to accept the qualities inherent to a
limited process can be matched to an apporpriate media and/or process.
Computer aid, for example, is effective IF no one is stuck with a fixed idea
about what the output/product should look like. If draftsmanship becomes an
"idol" it can also easily become an obstacle.

It may be easier, in the long run, to raise the standards of a student than
to get them to believe in themselves as people who draw. Once you get past
that barrier it may be mostly down hill from there on.

-henry