Re: drawing as a skill

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:54:11 -0500

For MPBC to be disheartened to hear that " I can' draw" is how I think many of us
possibly feel. Joseph has some excellent points, but when you tell us we should'nt be
(disheartened) I have I hard time shaking that off. Yes, there are other means of
reproducing visual ideas, but when I hear people say the "I can't draw" I also hear
them saying in my mind "I can't do art" and some times they will actually say that out
loud. There are those who assoiciate drawing with art in general. After I've had
faculty tell me they can't draw some of them will go on to say they can't do art at
all.

I love Joseph's comments about getting kids to see the connnections with many things
and to try new approaches. Agreed that technique isn't important, except for those who
have the desire to persure particular areas of skills. I'd really like to see
students develop more appreciation of the visual arts and not get so hung up on the
drawing thing. Some students don't care to learn that skill ( not that I don't
encourage them to anyways). The intinsic motivation isn't always there. When students
don't want to draw and feel they can't
( and adults too) they sometimes shut down in art class. It's our job to show them
otherwise, that drawing isn't the only avenue to enjoying art.

MaryB