Re: interdisciplinary 50's

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 01:32:51 -0400

lindacharlie wrote:

> These influential artists and architects of the 1950's were American by birth
> or adoption:
> Jackson Pollack, Lee Krasner, Franz Kline, Robt. Motherwell, Ellsworth
> KellyFrank Stella, Jasper Johns, David Smith, Eva Hesse, Roy Lichtenstein,
> Andy Warhol, Robt. Rauschenberg, Barnett Newman, Man Ray, Ad Reinhardt,
> Clyfford Still, Arshile Gorky, Josef Albers, Helen Frankenthaler, Jim Dine,
> Alexander Calder, Louise Nevelson
> Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Buckminster Fuller, Eero Saaranin, Albert Kahn,
> Walter Gropius
So in other words "The New York School".(can't forget De Kooning)
Dore Ashton wrote a book about it. You could also read:" Issues in
Abstract Expressionism" by: Ann Eden
Gibson, she explores and documents the history of the
New York School (Bataille, Motherwell, Newman,
Pollock,
Rosenberg, Rothko, et al.) as represented in five
interdisciplinary
periodicals that appeared in the late 1940s and
early 1950s:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0810964244/o/qid=932275757/sr=2-3/002-4009985-4428453
if this doesn't work go to amazon.com and type in:
Abstract Expressionism and then click on AE works on paper.It's
selections from the Metropolitan museum. If you scroll down there is
a long review.
Sandra
astroboy