Re: WHY JOHNNY CAN' DRAW...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry taylor (taylorh)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 15:46:49 -0700

Bob wrote:

>>" Give the same brush to an American second grader, and most like he or
she
>will scrub with it. Asian children learn to draw remarkably well simply
>because their language communication skills rely on their ability to
draw."<

My point was that, as I understand it, part of what helps Asian kids to
succeed is that they are relying on and indeed CAN rely on language and on
linguistic centers in the brain to support their drawing. They are thinking
when draeing with a part of the brain that supports grammar and rules for
the connection of parts. Something that we westerners must learn "the hard
way".

Its a poor comparison: skill in making patterns with a phisiologically
inherent grammar against skill in making "noise" requiring additional
training to form patterns as easily.

-henry