Comparing- the dead artist question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:07:24 -0400

gregjuli wrote:
> I've
> heard some say if you show the example of a Master's art before the lesson, that
> students will feel they're work won't be as good. Also, that this will make them
> feel defeated before they start. I think it is all in the way you present it.
> And yes, there might be one or two who feel that way, but this has not been my
> experience.

I haven't heard it said by adults but kids do notice and may feel
inhibited t not try at all. That is why mixing up your style of
teaching- say have the work turned over and then flip them around
when you want to make a point. Turn them over when the kids are
working. Have the option for them to go to a display table and look
through books, turn over prints. Art isn't something that should
only be taken in by sitting. In fact when I had art in school we
didn't have stools, although they were there if we wanted. Classes
at the art student league was similar and college was the same- No
wonder my feet still hurt ;)
I mean to say is, encourage exploration with medium with
style(teaching too) with the room. Change things to activate an
inactive mind. Speaking of dead artists- dress up like one. By all
means- you may have a static style of teaching so jumble it up. Make
the kids unsure what's going to happen on any given day.(depending
on age) Watch "To Sir With Love"- and sing along with LULU (LOL). I
think in a way I have the advantage of not knowing what it is like
to have a set standard or formal plan. I sort of go along as I
determine and one thing I remember after so many dreaded years
listening to Renaissance art history with Mary Durantini (OMG)
boring! Please don't drone on- your kids will fall asleep. Make it
exciting! Any volunteers as to how their lesson styles progress or
the format of them. Mine are jumbled but I work with young kids. YOu
have to be FLEXIBLE with preK and kindergarten age kids.
> > If they are comparing their work , it is usually with the kid's work who excells
> > in art class.
> > Has anyone else had this experience?
> >
> > MaryB
Yes but have you noticed that while the schools feel it isn't an
imposition to have you make sports banners and posters etc. I as a
parent volunteer get the same expectations from other parents. Not
only with school functions but with their kids Birthday parties and
any fund raiser. They all have learned that they can't create,
instead it is their own fault (and societies) for not having
creativity a priority in their lives. Everyone can draw they have
just learned not to.
Sandra
astroboy