Re: Fwd: shoe tying

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Elizabeth Stroud (stroud0718)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:22:29 -0400

I wrote and sent a message about this very thing, but it has not appeared
anywhere. If this one gets to you, I teach K-12 in a Montessori school. As two
of you have mentioned, they use frames with fabric and holes for lacing and
tying; this improves fine motor skills and helps in activities such as cutting,
writing, and shoe tying. No one is at the school this week, but I will get the
name of the place to order these and post it.

I was not a Montessori-trained teacher, but have gained so much from the
methodology and have integrated a great deal of it into my art teaching. It is
an ideal environment for the cross-curricular study of art as teaching is
approached on an individual basis. I would use many of their ideas if I ever
teach in a public school again; especially from a parent's perspective, it makes
so much sense.