Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1530

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber.us)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:10:05 -0600

The following is a breakdown of the high school art curriculum in the
Anoka-Hennepin School District in Minnesota:

Art Lab I,II,III: non-sequential 9th - 12th grade art classes that offer a
different variety of art
disciplines in each section. All Art Labs offer the Art
Creation / Performance
Grad Standard.

Level I Studio Classes: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Ceramics, Contemporary
Crafts: 9th - 12th grade
classes. All level I studio classes offer the Arts
Creation / Performance
Grad Standard.

Level II Studio Classes: Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Ceramics: Students
must have appropriate level
I studio class as pre-requisite. 9th graders only
permitted with permission
of art department or teacher. All level II studio
classes pffer the
Analysis and Interpretation Grad Standard.

Video / Computer Arts: 10th - 12th grade students. Arts Creation /
Performance Grad Standard

Commercial Art I: 10th - 12th grade students. Pre-requisite for Comm. Art
II. Arts Creation /
Performance Grad Standard.

Commercial Art II: 10th - 12th grade students. Arts Analysis and
Interpretation Grad Standard.

Advanced Art Studio: 10th - 12th grade students - honors class. History of
the Arts Grad Standard.

Advanced Placement Art History: 11th - 12th grade students. History of the
Arts Grad Standard.

Anoka H.S. (where I teach), is one of 4 high schools in our district. We
currently have 3,030 students. We have 5 full-time art teachers in our
department. Class size is anywhere from 25 to 30+ per period. We are on a
4 period block schedule (85 min. per class) with approximately 10 week
quarters.

Hope that this is helpful.

Kevan Nitzberg
Secondary Art Content Facilitator, District #11