Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1530

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Yolanda R. Brown (brownyr.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:37:27 -0500 (EST)

> Hello Fellow Artsednetters:
> PLEASE PARDON THE EXTRA "J's" in the body of this post, I cut and
pasted the letter and the result is rather jiggy!

> I have recently completed a six week tour of Ghana, West Africa.J I
traveled
> and studied in Ghana, looking at the beautiful terrain, people and arts
of
> Ghana.J I concentrated my studies on the following: art education
delivery;
> contemporary art of Ghana; Adinkra and Kente cloth; and traditional and
> contemporary ceramics...WHEEWWWW!!!!!!!!
>
> Having said all that I wish to share with you all some very disturbing
news.
>JJ The state of art education in Ghana, well at least the places I
visited
> can easily parallel and surpass the most underfunded, understaffed art
> programs in this countries urban and rural schools. The arts education
> programs I observed are suffering from lack of materials, and resources
that
> even the poorest school may pass off as unusable.J The teachers may have
> 10-15, even 20 year old text book to work from.J The students at both
the
> secondary and university level rarely have a copy of the required text.J
The
> students photocopy the teachers text.J The budgets for the secondary
schools
> for a year is around $400. U.S. dollars for say 800-1,000 students. Many
> students have to buy their own art materials, and/or text because the
> schools do not have the funds to purchase them.J The average salary for
> art teacher in the secondary schools is about $150. U.S. dollars a
month.
> The physical plant is simple and older than most environs that we work
in.

> There is so much more that I could say, but I will stop here.J I hope
that I
> have drawn a clear picture of the challenges that face the students and
art
> educators in Ghana.J I have realized even more that I am blessed, even
as I
> sit in graduate school, raising a teenager, living off $800. a month in
an
> expensive college town.J I would like to request that we as art
educators,
> advocates, administrators, art material,etc. support these folks with
small
> or large gifts of materials and resources.J I know that many of us get
new
> equipment or materials to replace items that are not useless, but
older.J we
> could pass the older, operable, useful items on to these folks.J I am
not
> sure at this juncture how we can get things to Ghana in mass
quantities,but
> we are ingenius Americans and Artists...the rest is gravy form here.JJ I
am
> also interested not just in giving things to the schools, but creating
> partnerships and colleagueship with the art educators and students
there.
> Please see a list of items needed and the places they are needed.J Thank
you
> in advance for anything you can do to support these programs.
>
> Achimota School
> M.J. Lellatom, Chair of Art Department
> Senoir Secondary School
> P.O. Box AH 11
> Achimota, Accra
> Ghana, West Africa
>
> *JJJJJJ Relevant art education textbooks and periodicals
> A few titles requested:
>
> The Hand Decoration of Fabrics Batik, Stenciling, Silkscreen, Block
Printing
> and Tie Dyeing (1959) Francis J. Kafka
>
> Batik & Tye-Dye techniquesJ Nancy Belter
>
> The complete bool of rug hookingJ Joan Moshimer
>
> Paper Crafts projects with one piece of paperJJ Michael Grater
>
> American Indian Cut and Use StencilsJ Ed Sibbett
>
> Border Design & Use of StencilsJJJJJJJJ Ed Sibbett
>
> Floral Cuts & Use of StencilsJJJJJJJJJJ Ed Sibbett
>
> The Artists and Craftsmans Guide to reducing , enlarging and
transferring
> designsJJJ Ruth Weiss
>
> Charm of ColorJ Quincy
>
> Craftsmans InstructionJ HandbookJJJJJJJ Tony PansiJJ NY: Educational
Materials,
> [...]
> *JJJJJJ Gloves (plastic)
> *JJJJJJ Caustic soda (hydrosulphite,hydosulphide)
> *JJJJJJ Staples for staple guns
> *JJJJJJ Gift membership in any national art organizations
> *JJJJJJ Share copies of materials relative to changes in art education
> *JJJJJJ Add name/address to any pertinent mailing lists
> *JJJJJJ Contact him for information on African Art.
> *JJJJJJ Ask him to contribute to scholarly journals in art education/art
> *JJJJJJ Posters related to art
>
> Technology Secondary School
> Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
> P.O.Box 26
> Kumasi, Ghana (West Africa)
> Attn:J Mr. Larbi, Art Instructor
>
> *JJJJJJ Relevant art education textbooks and periodicals
> *JJJJJJ Drawing Paper
> *JJJJJJ Sketchbooks
> *JJJJJJ Color Wheel
> *JJJJJJ Pastel Paper
> *JJJJJJ Watercolour paper
> *JJJJJJ Colored construction paper
> *JJJJJJ Acrylic paint
> *JJJJJJ Adhesives
> *JJJJJJ Glue of all kinds
> *JJJJJJ Brushes
> *JJJJJJ Spray guns
> *JJJJJJ Linoleum tiles
> *JJJJJJ Lino tools
> *JJJJJJ Inking trays
> *JJJJJJ Drawing mannequins
> *JJJJJJ Pencil sharpeners
> *JJJJJJ India ink
> *JJJJJJ Pencils-graphite and colored
> *JJJJJJ Pastels
> *JJJJJJ Charcoal
> *JJJJJJ Masking tape
> *JJJJJJ Stencils -lettering for signs, etc.
> *JJJJJJ Pyrography (pokerwork) tools
> *JJJJJJ Plasticine
> *JJJJJJ Beads
> *JJJJJJ Tjanting
> *JJJJJJ Fabric dyes
> *JJJJJJ Leather
> *JJJJJJ Leatherwork tools
> *JJJJJJ Beeswax
> *JJJJJJ Double boiler pots
> *JJJJJJ Drawing inks
> *JJJJJJ Paraffin
> *JJJJJJ Decora Fabric Paint sets
> *JJJJJJ Silkscreen materials
> *JJJJJJ Staple guns/staples
>
> Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
> Dr. Emmanuel Nyarkoh
> Art Education Department
> Kumasi, Ghana (West Africa)
>
> *JJJJJJ Relevant art education/visual art textbooks and periodicals
> *JJJJJJ Gift membership in any national art organizations
> *JJJJJJ Share copies of materials relative to changes in art education
> *JJJJJJ Add name/address to any pertinent mailing lists
> *JJJJJJ Contact him for information on African Art.
> *JJJJJJ Ask him to contribute to scholarly journals in art education/art
> *JJJJJJ Posters related to art
>
> And finally there is a Ghana Art Teachers Association (GATA), it can be
> alikened to the N.A.E.A.J they will meet for an annual meeting on August
> 9-12 1999.J I am sure these teachers would love to create alliances with
> American art educators.J Please contact the National Secretary (GATA),
Mr.
> M.J. Lellatom, Achimota School, P.O. Box AH 11, Achimota, Accra (West
> Africa)
>
> Yolanda R. Brown, Artist and Educator
>
> Be prepared, curious and vigilant!
>
> Vision looks inward and becomes duty.
> Vision looks outward and becomes aspiration.
> Vision looks upward and becomes faith.

Yolanda R. Brown, Visual Artist/Educator
Miami University
Art Education
New Art Building
Oxford, Ohio 45056
888-942-0402 Voice Mail
513-529-2232 Work (Art Museum)
513-529-2900 Art Ed. Dept.
brownyr

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished"