Re: H. S. Curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:38:40 -0400 (EDT)

We have four full time teachers and one half time teacher.
courses offered;
Art I, II, III, IV(general art classes, foundations of drawing, painting,
printmaking and sculpture (not ceramic based) II, III, IV-advanced levels
Art connections (art history based with studio projects)
Ceramics I, II and Advanced Ceramic Techniques (can be repeated for credit
with teacher approval
Graphic Design I, II (new this year, replacement for previous computer art
classes taught with Mac computers-now PC based)
Crafts (two semesters not consecutive but different crafts)
Wood crafts I, II (carved bowls, layered sculpture, boxes, all designed
and handbuilt)
Leathercrafts I, II (I: basic tooling techniques-belts, etc. II:
sculptural work, carving, masks-all out of leather)

As you can see we have a variety of classes; we are hoping to get our part
time person full time in the near future. In 93/94 when one other
instructor and I started we had two full time and one half time so we have
almost doubled in five years.
Art Metal I, II(basically jewelry
techniques)
Total school population about 1600 grades 9-12
ARt I-IV are year courses-all others are semester. AVerage class size is
20 ; I would guess at about 900 to 1000 students are enrolled in classes
but
some are repeats, taking more than one class so I would have to do an
actual count from the list and not list the repeaters more than once. Each
of us has between 100 and 150+ students depending on whether we
teach five or 6 classes. I always have 5 as I am dept chair. Our graphic
arts teacher has larger classes since he is in a regular classroom and
computer lab wheras our other facilities are small and we keep to 20 or a
few more with our permission, but usually no more than 25 in any of the
other classes.
Over the past few years we have had an arts initiative to update
equipment-new kilns, pug mills, new scroll saws, band saws, a master etch
press and so forth. We feel this was confidence in the growth of the
program from the district. I have available for use seven Mac computers so
the students in the general art classes have the opportunity to use the
various programs. We may have the availability this year of a PC so we can
do powerpoint presentations.
Any more info you need Judie-send a message. Good luck. Fran