Re: High School Curriculum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 07:00:49 -0700

Judie,

I am the art teacher at Vantage Point Campus, an alternative public school
in the Adams 12 School District ( a county north of Denver, Colorado).
There are approximately 185 students in the school. I have approximately
18 students per class.

Each quarter I teach some combination of classes from this list: Painting,
Drawing, Sculpture, Ceramics, Crafts, Design, Relief Printmaking,
Photoshop, and Digital Painting. I have the option to add Calligraphy and
Jewelry, but they are areas I need to explore a bit further before doing
so(they have been offered in the past by former teachers). Most classes
occur in the art room...a small but efficiently laid out and stimulating
space. The computer media classes occur in our lab.

Any class might have freshmen-seniors, students aged 15-21, and the
students demonstrate a wide variety of skill and experince levels. We do
not have the numbers to offer classes in beginning, intermediate, and
advanced sequence. Therefore it is necessary and exciting to adapt and
individualize instruction for any given group. I'm loving it!

The situation is unique, but shows the commitment of our school to as
comprehnsive a program as possible given our size and population.

Enjoy the expansion!

-Stacey B.

At 7:23 AM -0500 7/14/99, Judie wrote:
>Our school is planning to expand the upper school curriculum and possibly
>add another instructor. I would love to have from other teachers a brief
>list of your high school curriculum offerings with short a description if
>necessary. Additional information that would be helpful is the number of
>students in your high school, average number per art class, and number of
>art teachers.
>
>Thanks so much.
>
>Judie J

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* *