RE: artist as teacher

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:11:19 -0500

This relates to a project I'm trying to tackle. After looking at several
different types of Loan Kits, art curriculums, and teacher resource books,
we are going to put together some loan kits. I'm starting will illustrators,
and reproductions we already have in our library to make the first few kits.
Then we will start applying for grants to by more reproductions. I'm looking
for from other cultures or who are working today to include in kits. I would
love to hear from y'all about artists we should include in the future.

More on the Kits comments welcome
The kits will have materials and lesson plans to teach art history,
aesthetics, art criticism, and art production. Teacher will be able to check
them out from the museum (probably no charge), use them for up to two weeks,
and then return them. Some will be structured around individual artists
including illustrators, themes (Like family, water, Texas), techniques, and
art elements. The ideas is that regular classroom teachers can use them
teach art and tie it into the art curriculum. The largest school district in
the area has 4 art teachers for 20 elementary schools, and the smaller
districts often have no art teacher on the elementary level. Teachers in our
area are very interested in adding more art to the curriculum, but some have
to PROVE it helps in other subjects, so we are linking the kits to the
social studies and language art Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
requirements.

Kimberly Herbert
CAM Administrator