Fine Motor whoa's in kids and Sewing with little ones LONG

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 15:50:09 -0400

Kathypugh wrote:

> Hello,
> Our town, Arcanum, Ohio, celebrated it's sesquicentennial this year and I
> taught a unit about nineteenth century crafts to all of my elementary
> students .
> Second grade also learned about samplers, created a design, which they then
> drew onto their burlap with a piece of chalk. They also used tapestry
> needles but they had a wide choice of colors of yarn which they were to
> thread and knot themselves. Many couldn't do this at first, but were having
> more success with their knots towards the end of the unit. They also used a
> simple running stitch and I stressed making the stitches small and neat.

> Most students enjoyed their sewing experience. If you need more detailed
> info. just let me know.
>
> Kathy

Dear Kathy,
I am in Ohio also. It is amazing- (although I don't know why I
should be amazed)- how much less finger dexterity kids have as a
whole. I don't know about your experience but mine has been that I
start in Pre-kindergarten ( or I did when I was teaching) with the
large plastic needles and the plastic mesh and burlap pieces. Many
of them have never experienced this before. Now I know this has been
discussed in the past but again I am addressing it. I think with all
the computers,video games not only are their minds being fried but
their fine motor skills are also lagging. I know I am generalizing.
However kids don't spend time in our society learning how to sew,
quilt, pottery, paint, garden etc. with relatives, friends etc.
Everyone seems to be hell bent on growing up fast and just omitting
certain tasks we use to take for granted. I think necessary steps
which helps with reasoning, common sense, and cultural literacy.
Well folks I guess it's up to us to become the cultural/art/common
sense literacy advocates to help out with societies negligence.
As I say this my youngest son is learning how to use a video
control. This is a child who doesn't like TV- but also will not hold
a pencil ( except in a grasp) and wants to stamp out his name as a
way to avoid this fine motor step.LOL Hey yes he loves the invention
of the computer. Life with out pushbuttons never existed to him. The
rude awakening is about to happen because we are very close to
pulling the plug on the TV technology.Let me add that we do listen
to radio shows and have a new kids pottery wheel. And although my
oldest hates this I'm having him do 2 book reports a week and learn
the Cultural literacy book by E.D. Hirsh this summer as well. Ha
HA!!!!!
Sandra
astroboy

  • Reply: RWilk85411: "Re: Fine Motor whoa's in kids and Sewing with little ones LONG"
  • Reply: lindacharlie: "Re: Fine Motor whoa's in kids and Sewing with little ones LONG"
  • Reply: MarshArt: "Re: Fine Motor whoa's in kids and Sewing with little ones LONG"
  • Reply: Bunki Kramer: "Re: Fine Motor whoa's in kids and Sewing with little ones LONG"