Quilt transfers and Faith Reinggold

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 15:20:41 -0400

Heather Leal wrote:

> Just curious- what happened to the quilt? Who got to keep it ?
>
> Rosa Juliusdottir wrote:
>
> > We made a very large
> > quilt from these,

A note on the quilt-No I'm not Rosa!
When I did quilts as an alternative we made our drawings and then
had them copied on the stuff which transfers to material. That way
they could keep the original drawing and we were also able to send
one quilt to a sister school and one was for the school to auction
at a fund raiser. Another time I did this as a project for my son's
class to give to the teacher at the end of the year. I liked the
felt quilt idea, but I also like the iron on method as the kids are
not as limited with stitching at the 3rd grade. The edges and
sections were sewn by some mother volunteers and any students
(male/female) who wanted to. They also learned about "Quilting bees"
and what that means. Oh and the money for the copies came from the
PTO fund. I forget what the stuff is called but they new at the copy
place.
Sandra
astroboy
P.S.-You might even get a few kids to use this idea as presents for
relatives- once they know of a new process it's easy to encourage
them to use it for other things. e.g.-transfer for T-shirts, cloth
bags etc. Great fund raising items.