Re: Faith Reinggold - Elementary art lessons - Tar Beach

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 08:55:40 -0500

PicasoLovr wrote:

> Reinggold's "Tar Beach"... I envision third through fifth grades painting a story telling
> scene on canvas and framing each one with sewn bits of colorful fabric. Does
> anyone have any experience with teaching young ones sewing?
> I'd like to encorporate this into a Matisse unit.
>
> Sue

Hi Sue. In trying to visualize your vision, I recalled a most beautiful
felted wool blanket I saw at the little Dennos Museum in Traverse City
MI a few years ago (on a MAEA tour). I think it was an Inuit piece
because that is their focus. As i remember, it was a large red wool
blanket or wall hanging of some type which was covered with appliques of
all different sizes, colors and shapes of felt, I think using a blanket
stitch. Lots of red background showing through. The composition also
reminded me of a Kandinsky painting that has a sky blue background and
all sorts of different symbolic shapes (also native American-ish)
floating in the space. Still can't quite imagine what you're envisioning
but thought I'd throw this into the equation. Hope you let us know what
you come up with.
Linda in Michigan - blue water wonderland

p.s. tried to access http://www.nmc.edu/~dennos/ but they weren't
answering the call this morning. will try again later.