Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans

Re:Archival encapsulation

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Betty Bowen (
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:27:31 -0500

>does anyone know about a type of clear vinyl that you can use a regular =
>iron to seal? you put two edges together and a protective layer on top =
>and then iron it and the two edges are sealed. do you know what this is =
>called or where i might be able to get it?
>thanks a mill!!!

Wendy, I know of a variety of products like this through doing archival
paper storage (I worked at a publishing museum) - the process is called
encapsulation, and it is used for preserving old papers without causing
permanent damage like lamination.

University Products, Inc., P.O. Box 101, 517 Main St., Holyoke, MA 01041
Phone: 800-628-1912 Fax: 800-532-9281
Outside U.S. and Canada, Phone: 413-532-3372 Fax: 413-532-9281

Or, you can visit their web site through this link:

This is not University's own URL, but you can get there through "Suppliers"
or "Conservation" - This is the "Book Arts Web" site and really nearly
unbelievable in scope and quality. (THANKS to whoever -I suspect Sandra B -
first posted the Book Arts Web site)

University has an Excellent catalog, - one of those things I think Every
Body Should Have - but don't bother requesting one by email, because you
will never get it (in my experience) - go with the toll free number.
They have been in business a long time, have lots of good things like acid
free tissue and UV filters to slip over different types of light bulbs.