Re: Art Games

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 17:29:38 -0500

HI Fran,
Two of my favorites are Wheel of Art and Art Baseball.
I have a cardboard wheel with a spinner that has different categories-ex. art
terms, famous artists. art careers, art techniques. For example if the spinner
lands on Art Terms I put up lines on the board to indicate missing letters on a
word that would be art term. The kids guess letters ( raised hands) , if they
take a guess at the word and get it wrong they don't get to guess at that
particular word again. Sometimes I list outrageous prizes on the board ( a week
with Michael Jordan for basketball lessons) or use candy. I think there is a
game similar to this that you can purchase ( not sure of it's name , but saw it
in Sax's catalogue)
I came up with this version years ago in college.
Art Baseball is lots of fun. Kids get in to 2 teams. One team " up at bat" at a
time the other observes, helps keep score and times the questions. I'm the
pitcher who asks art questions ( usually related to what we have studied). They
get 10 sec. to answer a question , if it is right they take a base. If wrong it
is an out. I also let them pick captains. I have to give credit to a student I
had who did fieldwork in my class and came up with this game. It was a neat idea!

I have used these games with middle school kids but I'm sure you could modify
them for your age group.

MaryB