Fwd: transparencies at Kinkos

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sages7
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:15:33 EDT

--part1_8034acd3.24ae2385_boundary

From: Sages7
Full-name: Sages7
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:14:55 EDT
Subject: Re: transparencies at Kinkos
To: bahall

bahall writes:

<< regarding Kinkos making transparencies from books for >>

Okay, I have to admit, while in graduate school I worked at Kinkos. It was
not one of my fondest memories, but I learned a lot about computers and got
many free copies!
I will tell you what the company policy is. This is also the federal
copyright law, but many other small copy shops break this law because they do
not get caught. Kinkos was caught and sued for big bucks so copyright
infringement is a big thing there now. On the same note, let me tell you that
not all Kinkos follow policy. They would get in big time trouble if they were
caught, but I know that they sometimes do it anyway. This is frustrating to
the consumer because it exhibits mixed messages. So it depends on what Kinkos
you visit. They are based out of California. Those stores should be following
policy all the time.
Anyway>>>> sorry I am long winded this morning!
You can make a copy of one illustration per book at a time. If it is
copyrighted imagery (which it always is! unless it is your own artwork) you
must fill out an educational waiver. That is the law. They break it all the
time, but technically you must come back at a later visit to copy another
image from the same book. Two
ways to get around that: bring a friend! they can sign a waiver also and get
a copy or
many Kinkos have self service color copiers now. You can copy whatever you
want out there because you are taking the responsibility not Kinkos. However,
these self serve copiers are not always in good shape (people abuse
them)and/or are not always the supermachine like they have in the back.

Again, I must reiterate that the copyright laws are a federal thing, not a
Kinkos thing, but many, many stores ignore them. I hope this helps somebody!

A former kinkoid and glad not to be anymore,
Heather

Ps. Even with all the trouble, Kinkos still has the best color copies in my
town.

--part1_8034acd3.24ae2385_boundary--