Re: value of art in academics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Marvin P Bartel (marvinpb)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:11:25 -0500

I am responding to message from:
>Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:56:08 -0400
>From: "Linda Kelty" <lckelty>
>Subject: value of art in academics

I have a copy of a research report on out-of-school art bases programs that
says:
". . . young people working in the arts during their out-of-school hours are:
* Four time more likely to have won school-wide attention for the academic
achievement.
* Being elected to class office within their schools more than three times
as often.
* Four times more likely to participate in a math and science fair.
* Three times more likely to win an award for school attendance.
* Over four times more likely to win an award for writing an essay or poem."

These results were not true for just any kind of program but they were true
if the out-of-school programs achieved high levels of participation,
practice, critique, and performance.

The above quote is from: "LIVING THE ARTS THROUGH LANGUAGE+LEANING a report
on community based youth organizations" by Shirley Brice Heath, et.al. in
AMERICANS FOR THE ARTS MONOGRAPHS, November, 1998, vol 2, number 7.

I believe copies are available from The Carnegie Foundation for the
Advancement of Teaching, 555 Middle field Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025 * phone
650-566-5100 or fax 650-326-0278

High correlations such as these do not always prove that the arts were
instrumental in causing better academic work. It is possible that those
youth who were already good students were also the ones electing to become
involved in the arts programs. Correlations to not prove cause, but they do
suggest the possibility of cause. They can be reason enough to encourage
another study designed to establish that good arts programs do cause better
academic performance.

Marvin Bartel
Marvin Bartel, Ed.D., Professor of Art
Goshen College, 1700 South Main St., Goshen IN 46526
Office (219) 535-7592 Fax (219)535-7660
Studio (219) 533-0171
My October, 98 exhibition:
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/10-98p1.htm