Re: value of art in academics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:38:41 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01BEC394.BD6BFE60

Heather, I definitely plan to do that. I contacted the Eric databank =
and asked them to put together a bibliography of research articles to =
this theme and will send it out as an attachment. I will also try to =
post everything else I find out. Seems to me that this is a much =
neglected area of research. Could that be due to the fact that so many =
of us research for units of study and direct application or are too =
involved in the visual side of things? So much of what we know about =
the benefits of art to a person are unique to that person and anecdotal =
which is often discounted as empirical research. We need a Howard =
Gardner in the art education field. know of anyone? Linda
-----Original Message-----
From: Heather Leal <rayleal>
To: Linda Kelty <lckelty>
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: value of art in academics
=20
Hi,=20
Please post any results to the group. I tried a similar project for =
my master's and found the same problem. Sorry I can't be of help.=20
Heather=20
Linda Kelty wrote:=20

Hi everyone, A dear friend of mine is in need of some =
help. I thought of all of you because she needs information and =
resources FAST. She is in a grad class and is expected to do an action =
research paper of 3 chapters in 3 weeks including the literature base. =
tough job. Her thought is to demonstrate the value of a good art =
program in strengthening the academic performance of students. This is =
for a master's program. There is a lot of information about the =
correlation between music and math, but little about art. This =
deficit is something that we as a group of professionals might want =
information about to support our own programs. Do any of you know of =
research articles, academic documentation, books, magazines or other =
sources that would support this? She has researched into the ERIC =
database, dogpile, metacrawler, etc. and has yet to find anything =
definitive. She is looking for correlations between art and Thematic, =
interdisciplinary,cross-curricular studies; the way art strengthens a =
child's ability to learn, visual literacy developing reading readiness =
and otherwise enhances a childs ability to learn and to think. We =
spoke on the phone and I told her that this group no doubt had numerous =
resources that might help. If you have any tips for research sources, =
or titles that would help, or institutions that operate on this premise, =
could you please e-mail her directly as well as post to this list for =
all our benefits? Thanks so much. I know so many of you will come =
through. So far every premise she has tried have too few research =
articles to back it up.Mail to bartbart Thanks again, =
Linda K.

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01BEC394.BD6BFE60

Heather,=20 I definitely plan to do that.  I contacted the Eric databank and = asked them=20 to put together a bibliography of research articles to this theme and = will send=20 it out as an attachment.  I will also try to post everything else I = find=20 out.  Seems to me that this is a much neglected area of = research. =20 Could that be due to the fact that so many of us research for units of = study and=20 direct application or are too involved in the visual side of = things?  So=20 much of what we know about the benefits of art to a person are unique to = that=20 person and anecdotal which is often discounted as empirical = research.  We=20 need a Howard Gardner in the art education field. know of anyone? =20 Linda
-----Original = Message-----