Re: What is a pug mill?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:48:07 -0400

Alpine is one of the major updaft kiln manufacturing companies. They used
to make all sorts of equipment but I don't know if they still make wheels
and pugmils. They definately still make gas kilns.

A pugmil is used to recycle clay. It mashes and blends the clay. You can
add other materials in when you are using a pugmil like grog, sand, dry
clay and or ball clays. I have always used dried clay that I turned back
into slurry and then dried out until it is relatively stiff and mixed that
with stiffer clay in the pugmil.

Some pugmils have the capability to "de-air" the clay so that less wedging
may or may not be required before the clay is worked into a sculpture or
functional form.

Numo
Numo Jaeger
Ceramics Department Coordinator