Re: increased budget wish list

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 06:02:33 -0700

MaloneyMK wrote:

> My budget was miraculously increased today... <snip>
>
> There is also no kiln and practically nothing else in the way of equipment in
> the art room... and now I can spend some money on more than just materials
> that will walk out the door with the kids.
>
> If you were free to buy something special for your art room what would it be?
>
> Kathy Maloney Johnson
Wow, Kathy,

What an incredible feeling. I think you're wise to go with a big budget
item. If you're sure you would incorporate ceramics into your
curriculum, a kiln would be great. Get one with a Kiln Sitter (which I
have), and others will tell you to also get the new vented kind (which I
don't have). You will also want extra "kiln furniture" such as shelves
and support posts of different heights, as well as kiln wash and cones of
varying degrees (figure out your clay needs first--i.e, low fire or high
fire). The great thing about ceramics is that once you've sprung for the
big-ticket item--the kiln--the clay itself is really cheap. Sturdy tools
and sponges will last a few years, too. And, the students really enjoy
it.

Next time you're faced with this problem :D you can go for a slab
roller, then a couple of electric wheels.

Let us know what you decide. Last spring I was given a good chunk of
money to spend on capital items; since the art room was pretty well
equipped, I got new window shades which will darken the room better for slide
viewing, and two electric wheels.

Maggie