Re: VISUAL ARTS IN A NEW KEY!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:48:29 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BDBB19.18A847A0

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Beeching <robprod>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 4:06 PM
Subject: RE: VISUAL ARTS IN A NEW KEY!
=20
Cohorts, here are a few comments and observations for your reactions =
before school begins...=20
If the basic principles and elements of: Music, Dance, and Sports =
are taught to students in order for them to function in these areas, it =
is logical that the Visual Arts must follow in the same order of the =
learning process.=20

If a student cannot locate middle "C" on a keyboard, or cannot find =
notes and harmony, that student cannot enter the music field. If =
students do not learn the basic principles and elements of sports, they =
cannot play the game. If students do not learn to draw, paint, and to =
construct, effectively, how are they to create intelligent visual =
statements? Every subject field has at its core a fundamental approach =
to process/skill development. Without a core, there is no center.
Dear Robert and All,

Well said, I agree with you 100 percent! So many people think art =
skills are a "gift" you are born with, not something you can learn, =
practice, and improve upon. That word "gift" bothers me, it's as if it =
took no effort for me to acquire my skills. Furthermore, it implies =
that teaching art is unnecessary since "you have it, or you don't." I =
try to dispel that myth daily. "I'm not good at art," is the lament I =
hear often from my students (at first). I, of course, tell them that's =
why they are in my class, to get better! I prove to them as often as =
possible, that other students who are, "good at art," actually practice =
constantly and that is what makes them skilled.

Sincerely, Leah