Re: Ceramics for the Gifted

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
vala vinogradoff (vala)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:59:22 +0930

Try establishing what their interests and provide a means of generating
motivation.(what are the age groups?)
Initially look at something like ceramic sculpture where students can design
objects based on themes eg. space warriors, cars, imagery (eg.a can of worms),
hybrid creature (link to literacy) etc. Students can't finish just in a two hour
session, and would need to wrap these in plastic and follow up the following
week. Hollow up bases, dry and then initially paint surfaces, paint a base
colour and examine colour theory concepts befor painting the pieces. Varnish at
the end. You could even use air brush on larger pieces. The idea is to obtain
their interest.
Later look at things like natural objects for slab imprints and textures that
you may raku or use oxides.
Build seaforms, combine them with thrown pots. Students need to be involved with
mixing their own glazes especially the older ones and G/T
You would need to have examples and show and examine quality and finish so that
students understand what is possible with clay.