Re: self taught artists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
croberts (b2w6w4kn)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:50:41 -0700

judy jones wrote:

> I have programs on Minnie Evans and Joseph Cornell, both self-taught
> artist. Look at Outsider art, especially in Arkansas, and the
> Carolinas.

Judy, you are right about Minnie Evans. I grew up in Wilmington, NC,
where Minnie lived and worked most of her life. She was an excellent
self-taught, visionary artist. Her work is colorful, mostly
symmetrical, very detailed, and beautiful.

Here is one image...
http://www.artincontext.com/LISTINGS/IMAGES/FULL/W/9554E2DW.htm

Here's another...
http://www.kemperart.org/meaie.htm

And another..
http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncma/collections/twentieth/pictures/pic_032s.html

This is a good small book about the life of Minnie Evans..
http://www.hmco.com/hmco/trade/booksellers/childrens/catalog/Title0-395-72032-X.html

Carolyn Roberts
E. B. Frink Middle School
Kinston, NC