Re: assessment good/bad

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:24:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosa Juliusdottir <rojul>
To: Litesal <Litesal>
Cc: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: assessment good/bad

>Hi all. I know my english is O.K. but right now I am not sure I know what
>"rubric" means. I know the world but need a better explanation.
>Leah wrote:
>>A rubric listing general expectations, does not cancel out creativity and
>>self <expression, it simply, clearly defines what the student must (at
>>least) <accomplish while expressing themselves. A well written rubric
>>leaves room for <personal interpretation in any assignment. The rubric
>>ensures that the student <is learning something he/she can use to develop
>>more sophisticated personal <ideas.
>What is the difference in a rubric and a curriculum or a lesson plan?
>Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks and regards from the far north, Rosa

Dear Rosa,

No need to apologize. Yours is a completely legitimate question. As you
know, in education, terminology comes and goes. For example, we'd be hard
pressed to describe the differences between an objective, and outcome, and a
performance. They all mean what the student is to learn or do.

In the dictionary, rubric means a heading, title, class, category, or rule.
I suppose it is the rule that best fits what a rubric is in the educational
context. I guess that's why many people take issue with the use of a
rubric. However, one does not have to adhere strictly to any given rubric.
I know that doesn't answer your question, so I will continue.

The difference between a rubric and a lesson plan, is that the lesson plan
is for you to follow, and a rubric is for the student to follow. It lists
all that the student is to accomplish to meet the given objectives of a
lesson. It is a tool for communicating expectations and further serves as
an evaluation tool that both the teacher and student uses. It stresses what
the student will actually produce or do to demonstrate that quality learning
is taking place in the subject area as well as in productivity and
communication. Rubrics are an important component in Performance Based
Assessment (by the way, art educators have always used PBA, it simply means
that the student is responsible for much of the learning because he/she must
produce something, not just memorize and do busy work).

I hope you now have a better understanding, let me know if you have any more
questions.

Sincerely, Leah