[Fwd: Subject: Re: What's worth teaching in art? [Arousing Curiosity]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chester Windsor (SKOOLMA)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:52:25 -0700

Robert Alexander Fromme wrote:

> Howdy, ArtsEdNetters,

I must hold the
> opinion that we art teachers have a variety of roles that come with the job.
> Some days, the most important thing we can do for a child is let them know
> that we appreciate them making the efforts to come to school and try to
> participate in spite of the facts that they have had no breakfast, their
> lives at home are a nightmare, they were harassed on the bus comming to
> school, their cloths are a mess and they have a body odor that would kill a
> horse.
>
> In other words, from my perspective at the bottom, one must try to key on
> the needs of the students. Our work will vary depending upon just how
> sophisticated their needs happen to be.
>
> one must try to key on the needs of the students...

> Bob

***********************
Howdy from Texas, Bob!!

WOW!! I have enjoyed your postings! Very powerful and full of excellent
information. Boy! I really wanted a part in this discussion and I kept
thinking for days what to say, but couldn't come up with anything good,
concrete or vital with my expertise. Wish I could put my five-cents
worth on all that you have commented, but unfortunately I am not
experienced and not as educated as you (someday I will!!). But as a
future art teacher, I do have a thirst to absorb and learn from you and
the list. I must say that YOUR lengthy reply to Craig's challenge
questions was most enjoyable on my part. You have touched topics I have
not yet studied as well as those that are predicted as changes in
teaching and technology in our very near future, That is somewhat
scarry for me as student now!

Ofcourse, THANKS TO CRAIG for challenging such powerful questions to all
artsednetters that moved us all in some way, to evaluate our teaching
methods and I think with excellent results too!! But I do welcome the
knowledge you are feeding me as a student. So, YES, it has stirred
curiosity about the future classroom and technology! Maybe I'm alone,
and I've been in the closet too long, but I just had not given a thought
to some of the things you mentioned.

However, I can comment on your reply to Teresa, because I strongly agree
with you that our teacher roles do come with different hats that we have
to assume in the classroom setting and deal with the baggage the
students bring into the classroom. I have found myself in these
situations several times in my 8 years of sub-teaching, in which I
discovered a part about myself that I had no idea existed in me.

While I'm on a roll here, could we please start a discussion about
models of learning? And because I am so impressed with the desire of
all the artsednetters to share new/old ideas and suggestions to all
types of questions, its a good time to bring up the subject. With the
diversity in our classrooms, I thought addressing various learning
styles would be great. What do you think?

Before I end here(cause I tend to talk too much), what type of readings
would you recommend to future teachers(like me) to prepare us better for
the New Millennium?

Keep those great discussions comming!

Regards,

Rachel