My suggestions for computer generated art projects are as following:
1) Design a series of small projects, focusing on the practice of tools.
This will really help those students who only have basic computer skill.
Each graphic program has different tools, and new students need more time to
get used to it. Business cards, one page of ad design, logo, or photo
retouching would be good ideas.
2) Advance students can have a series of product design. Have them choose
the theme and design the product such as stationary, letter set...
3) Illustration. Have students choose a magazine or story book. Design the
computer illustration to enhance the theme of those reading material.
4) Poster, invitation cards, wedding cards, book cover design..
5) Besides the product, I also recommend some project that help students's
critical thinking not only in the visual design but also contextual meaning.
Such as self-identity logo or image design.
the journal of art education also have many practical computer projects and
provide DBAE approaches.
Hope I'd help you.