Re: To Any Texas Art Teachers...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bo Sheffey (sheffey)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 21:30:44 -0700

--------------80036C1C91CAB136C46621EA

freckles spots wrote:

> I don't mean to be a bother...but could you please explain:
> TDAS
> TAAS
> SOL
> for those of us who don't know what they are.
> Thanks
> Judy
> in Oklahoma
> Judy,

Sol's are what we called Standards of Learning. This is what I was
familial with in Virginia. But Texas has these complicated evaulation form
for the teachers called PDAS which is where we have to show how we
incorporated reading, writing, and math into our curriculum. It is a
complicated form which seems to change from year to year. At the end of the
year the students take the TAAS test in these areas and their scores decide
if they pass or fail. Their scores also seem to affect the teachers
evaluations as well as the schools. It is like what the whole school is
revolved around. This year the TAAS (Texas something Appraisal System or
some such name).is changing to the TDAS. I do use writing, reading, and
math in my class, but I guess what bothered me is that they didn't care to
find out what I was supposed to accomplish in Art, only how I could help
with the tests.
These tests and appraisal system overrides student learning in my
perspective. They have to practice and practive to be able to take and pass
the computer generated test.
El Paso students come to school (many) from Mexico because after Elementary
they have to pay to go to school. They come to middle school with no English
skills but are supposed to pass these tests.
The booklets explaining these tests are almost thick as phone books. I
plan to attach the art standards to mine as well as show how I incorporate
reading, writing, and math.
This is a year long process.
I just wondered if other teachers were used to this scrutiny or if it is
because we are a border town and the can fail the ones who come from Mexico.
Just wondering..........
Teresa Sheffey