Re: The First Day of School

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:30:40 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: BluesTruth <BluesTruth>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Cc: BluesTruth <BluesTruth>
Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 12:35 AM
Subject: The First Day of School

>Hi, Artnetters--
>Sorry to bring this up, but the first day of school is just around the
corner.
>I always present the SAME drawing exercise on the first day of school, and
>would like to present something different to my students. I instruct the
>kids draw a person, a house and a tree. Boring, huh? What do you art
experts
>do for an AWESOME first day exercise to get the kids into art right
away-good
>attitude, etc. I go over class rules, etc. too. What do you do? Thanks
in
>advance.
> Artfully, Bluestruth
>P.S. For your info-I only have 35 minutes with the students-minority
kidz,
>inner city Chicago, Ill. -- Small, small budget. I need a Quickie!

Dear Jill and everyone else,

First days are awfully busy. We find our seats, make a chart, discuss
rules...I like to get students' input about their expectations and things
they are interested in...I write it all down. If we have time, since
they're always anxious to get right to work, we create our folders which
will keep ongoing projects throughout the year. I also get to learn more
about their interests by looking at how they decorate their folders.

: ) Leah (k-5)