Re: real beauty 2

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:32:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BDAE41.25D70E00

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken and Chris <kenh>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 7:22 PM
Subject: real beauty 2
=20
our criteria for good (in classroom critiques)include general =
aesthetic properties: unity in variety, coherence, balance, harmony, =
etc.
other aesthetic properties are less cognitive. they're assigned =
according to interests and desires. for our students to fully engage in =
their classroom making activities their interests and desires must be =
taken into account. comments?
=20
Dear Ken, Chris, and all,
=20
Students' interests and desires are relevant to the choices they =
make, and should be taken into account. However, I believe it is our =
job, as art educators, to expand and influence their interests and =
desires. We do this by exposing them to great art and artists, =
challenging them with new techniques, and getting them to think about =
different subjects and points of view. After all, if I let a certain =
group of fifth grade boys only produce art according to their interests =
and desires, I'd only see WWF Heavyweights imagery! In fact, they =
managed to work that subject into an amazing number of projects!
=20
Sincerely,
Leah
=20
p.s. I do not discourage or deride students' points of view. I =
simply and gently point out other ways of thinking, when appropriate, =
and allow my students to make independent decisions. I just like to =
make them think. It is important to combat narrow mindedness.