Re: First Year Advice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 22:10:22 -0400 (EDT)

I'm sure you will get lots of advice. I have started over in my teaching
career so many times and each time, I'm excited and again nervous. Some
things I know for sure from all of this...Preparation is the key; anytime
I have problems it's because I'm flying by the seat of my pants for
whatever reason; Plan out what you will do and have a routine for your
supplies (it doesn't have to be anyone else's but one that is good for
you.)
Keep your sense of humor; You don't have to know everything but must give
our the aura that you are willing to learn to try to help. Even with the
high school students I teach, I notice that they are very appreciative for
any help and want to learn for the most part.

Don't think every problem that happens in the classtroom is your fault;
sometimes students come with their own baggage. Avoid snapping, but remain
firm and as calm as possible. Give out clear directions and demonstrations
and have some kind of visual aid, chart, examples, etc. to reinforce what
you want. Give specific directions for behavior, not vague ones. Trust
your instincts. Also, you will have some bad days; don't let it discourage
you. Rethink what happened and see if something you can do will help.

Keep us all posted in the fall how you are doing. It's great starting out.
I'm getting sorry that I am in the home stretch. Fran