Re: creative thinking

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
nop62861 (teresatorreseca)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 02:18:39 +0200

Jen Dixon wrote:

> WHat I would like to ask the group is, what do you do to get
> students to think like artists? What creative thinking exercises have
> you taught that have been successful?
> Thanks
> Jen Dixon
> Lansdowne High School
> Baltimore,MD

Creative thinking is based in a very common intelligence, everybody
can be creative. The art lessons may develop those human capacities
giving a method to deal with ideas, to relate or associate images, To
give the students a design method to organise their ideas , to allow
them to dream and foster all ideas, is the first step. The model of the
artist may be a good one: the search for improving, the quest for more
and more quality , but it is not the only; i prefer to give them the
concept of criticism and follow the "connoisseurship" model as Elliot
Einer have defined the term. Creativity is art production, aesthetics,
criticism and History of art , this four rationales are the basis for an
art course whatever the level we teach.
Creativity must be value in all the fields , imagination and sensitive
capacities are essential standards in education. As art educators we
must defend this point all the time, not only to train artists but to
general education.