Re: Child development /sex/ and the turmoil in Western society

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 13:40:59 -0500

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> I think the just say no sucks!
> It's easy to say don't do it. It's not just sex,but
> drugs,homosexuality
> etc. which comes into play. I am currently reading a book" A fine
> Young

Sandra and all,
I can't agree about the "sucks" part. But you do have some other good points.
I think it is better to say "no" than do nothing at all. It is a start somewhere. It isn't easy to just say
"no", parents and teachers also have to follow up on it. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and say
nothing. In fact maybe if more parents just said NO instead of worried about being democratic we maybe would
not have some of the problems we have. But then many parents aren't even home enough to tell their kids no you
may not or should not. Isn't saying "no" part of developing self-control and more kids need to have this skill?

There are may problems and challenges for children these days and also many suggestions on how to fix them. (I
also check on current books for child development and there are plenty of them). What I am saying is I think
there are many ways to look at solving a problem. It does not hurt to use a variety of techniques.
MaryB. in Wis.