Re: First Year Advice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 11:07:45 -0500

John and Diane Matthews wrote:

> This fall I will begin my first year of teaching art. I will be at a small
> rural school in west central MO, only a 25 minute drive from my own
> hometown of Knob Noster. I will be teaching K - 12 art. The student
> enrollment stands currently at 200. I am excited, and scared to death. So
> if anyone out there has any wisdom to share or advice I would greatly
> appreciate it.
>
> Diane L. Matthews
> Art Educator/Advocate
> Chilhowee R-IV School
> matthews

Diane,
Congratulations on landing a job! Ahh that 1st year, I remember it well. As
I'm sure most of us do. Some of the best resources out there are not
necessarily from an art catalog. But they will require some energy on your
part to track them down. I'll list my favs below.
1. Books (from the school library, half -price books, catalogs)
2. School Arts( My school pays for the subcription out of library budget)
3. Still life objects (rummage sales! -got to love them!)
4. Slides (Most of the slides I have I took myself using books and outdoor
light)
5. Framing stores ( They give us free mat board)
6. Videos ( I think it is good to have a couple of these for emergency sub
days. I like the one
I have Roy Lichtenstein- it is fast paced compared to some others and a
goofy one called
Cartooning by Toma for my middle school kids.)

Good -Luck in your new Job!
MaryB. in Wis.
PS. My best advice to you in your first year is get good sleep at night and
keep a good sense of humor.