Re: real beauty/ugly

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 20:46:50 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Augusta <jaugusta>
To: Ken and Chris <kenh>
Cc: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Friday, July 10, 1998 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: real beauty/ugly

>> do we all know how to establish a useful criteria for
>> good? thoughts or comments.
>
>Sure, it's easy. If it's a figure, how good is it drawn? Are the arms
>the same size, etc? A still life--same criteria. An abstract--how good
>are the relationships: colors? forms? Unusual subject matter: well
>that's a matter of taste, but you could ask: does this object make you
>feel good? Or would you rather look at something else?
>
>Just remember a simple point: you want to keep looking at good things
>and want to look away from bad things. Now that statement's not as dumb
>as it sounds! Unfortunately!
>
>Best wishes,
>Joseph

Dear Joseph,
You say, look at good things, look away at bad...but we would all have
differing opinions of good and bad. For example, I'm a Van Gogh fan, my
husband likes Norman Rockwell. He thinks Van Gogh looks undisciplined, I
think Rockwell is too tight. But who is right, which artist is good, or
best? In my opinion, aesthetics can be studied, discussed, debated, but
never standardized.

Sincerely,
Leah