Re: real beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:31:14 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01BDAC28.8987F560

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken and Chris <kenh>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Friday, July 10, 1998 4:25 PM
Subject: real beauty
=20
relativist aesthetics (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) is not =
useful for classroom critiques. standards of aesthetic worth are real =
and necessary. do we all know how to establish a useful criteria for =
good? thoughts or comments.
=20
Dear Ken, Chris, ArtsEdders,
In my elementary classroom, we use a rubric. This device lists =
all objectives for a particular project within a unit. Often, the =
expectations relate to objective concerns such as craftsmanship and =
participation because these things are observable. The rubric is useful, =
because students are aware of what the goals of the art experience are =
at all times. "Good", in my classroom, means that the student has met =
the criteria outlined in the rubric. However, we engage in critical =
discussions (participation in these is included in the rubric) about our =
process and outcomes, this is when we decide, discover, and communicate =
what WE THINK beauty is!
=20
This is an =
interesting topic!