Re: Child Development and art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
taylorh (taylorh)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:11:37 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Peggy Woolsey wrote:

> Henry I ain't redefining or refining nothing.

OK.

> The choices you offer up of city streets at midnight don't make any
> difference to me anywhere. I'm not really even safe in my own home, so
> what difference does it make which city street I'm walking on? Fact is,
> I felt safest in Spanish Harlem in NYC. Seemed like all the women were
> looking out for eachother there.

I've felt pretty much exactly that way myself since I was maybe 8 or 9 and
I'm pushing 50 now. You get beaten enough and you learn the routine.
...even years after the events you are working on making sure you are not
in that situation again. You don't have to be a woman to be afraid of
males in the here in the good ol' USofA I'm sad to tell you. A
acquaintence of mine was beaten pretty badly not all that long ago. And
the nephew of a friend was shot in the head when he came home from college
for a visit. he was lucky. he can walk now. Sometimes all it takes is
being different. Sometimes only being in the wrong place.

Still, all in all I'd feel less worried in Tokyo... I'd still carry my
keys tho.

One other thing. Once you have learned well how to be afraid, it never
goes away. I don't think it would matter if I were the only living thing
on the planet. I could do it in a heartbeat. Where the violence REALLY is
doesn't matter one single bit. be prepared. sigh.

Little kids are safe tho. I might have trouble teaching high school. How
about you?

-henry